Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Librarian's Lobby



I uploaded the Librarian's Lobby column for April. It's on the topic of electronic books.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ddstuhlman/crc104.pdf

===========
April 12 -- I fixed a typo in the date of Pesikta Zutrasa. It was written in the 11th century, not the 19th.

April 13 -- I received a question about how I found the Hebrew quote Pesikta Zutrasa on the Hebrewbooks.org web site.

The web site does not offer a good search engine for searching text and the texts do not show up when using google.books. Since I knew the section of the quote was Shemos 13, I loaded pages until I found the right one, then I read the page until I found the words. Pages have to be loaded individually. The whole book may be download, but I did not try to download it and test the find command for a PDF file. This was tedious, but there were no alternatives. If I had the book in hand, the search process would have been the same, but I could turn and scan the pages faster.

If this makes no sense, then refer to the full article.

No comments: