Sunday, October 20, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Loaf



My sister posted a recipe on for an apple cinnamon loaf. I was so hungry for something sweet I had to make some. Here is my variation. I wanted to make it parve (dairy-free) and so I substituted vanilla almond milk for cow’s milk and I replaced the butter with vegetable oil and applesauce. The original recipe calls for 1 apple. The loaf really needs two apples or about 2 cups, but since I had only one, I was not able try a second apple.


1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup applesauce
2 large eggs
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup almond milk (or use rice or soy)
1 apple, peeled and chopped ( or more to equal about 2 cups)



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
3. Chop apples and place into a heat-able container. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, shake until well coated, then microwave for 2 minutes
4. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside. Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
5. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until light yellow; add vanilla extract.
6. Add flour, baking powder, and milk. Beat well.
7. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
8. Cover with half the apples and half the brown sugar cinnamon mixture.
9. Lightly pat apples into batter.
10. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and remainder of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
11. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a fork or spoon.

13. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.

------------
Note:  This was revised on October 25, 2013 after I baked a second batch.

No comments: